I am going to 22 in four months(including Dec) and have a few thoughts about growing up.
1. I used to place too much trust in a person (or actually everyone) so I get hurt easily when they failed to live up to my expectations. As I got older, I realized that humans fail us, only God is there for us. I think we should not be 100% cynical in humans but definitely not be 100% trusting.
2. I want to do well in many things but I could only do so much. I think we need to understand our strengths and weaknesses and one part of life is exploring what God has in store for us and knowing what we can do better than others and what we are weaker than others. I think we need realistic expectations of our ability and do our best for it.
3. I can’t win all the time. I think when we were young, people tend to give in more to small kids. However, we cannot expect the same treatment given to us as adults. Knowing this needs us to go through trials but everything is there for a purpose and as what the Bible has said, God will not test us something that is beyond our ability to handle.
4. (For young adults) Sometimes, I am still treated like an ignorant kid especially when I am with my parents or when I am with a group of adults much older than me. I feel that people can judged us and we cannot prevent people from doing so but we can change their opinion of us through the way we act and speak etc. For I am sure, not all great men and women are all senior citizens and not all achievements are achieved by great men or women. Just my opinion but knowing what to respond and react in most situations is an important step to prove one’s maturity.
5. Be open to perspectives but in a not compromising way. I have heard of Christians or generally people getting ‘polluted’ by people probably through peer pressure etc. I have been bullied before a few times and many a times also want to be accepted by people but I think we need to stand firm in what is right and what is wrong and of course, be brave to face the consequences of all our actions. A few months ago, I overlooked the timing to an important test and wasn’t able to make it to the exam venue. I had deeply regretted my actions and repeatedly questioned myself, why did I not check the timing again and again till I got it right. I was too focused on revising for the test that I overlook what seem so easy to know. I may have gotten away with a fake MC but I chose to painfully accept my mistake and worked harder for the finals. Honestly speaking, the results are still not out yet and I do not have much confidence in this but I doubt I get pass my conscience and sleep peacefully each night if I went ahead and got a fake MC. Once you make a mistake like this, you may think ‘Ah, everyone’s doing it so it’s ok.’. But what is wrong is wrong and you cannot bluff yourself and definitely cannot bluff God.